Monday, May 26, 2008

Back from APS!

It's been a whirlwind of activity and fun these last few weeks. Sean and I took our students with us to Chicago last week to present our research at the 20th Annual Convention for the Association of Psychological Science (whew, that's a mouthful! For sake of brevity, I'll refer to this conference as APS). I have to say, we had a great time at APS! We met other researchers who are doing similar research on environmental concerns and attitudes, and we were able to share ideas and make connections with those folks, which is fantastic. There were hundreds of poster presentations and invited addresses, too. I've learned the hard way that you have to be selective in choosing which talk or poster to go to because otherwise, you'll wear yourself out!


Here's a picture of us standing in front of our poster on people's implicit connections with nature. You may notice that my hair is wet in this photograph - that's because our poster presentation was scheduled for 8am on Thursday. Yikes!! :0) Standing next to me is Matt Robinson, an undergraduate at Rutgers University. This summer, I have the pleasure of being his faculty mentor for a grant he received from APS. And standing next to Sean is Becky Lomas, another undergraduate at Rutgers University. Becky and Matt are two incredibly motivated students. It was so awesome sharing this experience with them and seeing them shine as they presented their posters at the conference.

Here's a photo of us after we presented our poster (you'll notice my hair is no longer soggy wet!). Sitting on my right is Nick Vecchione, yet another one of Sean's students. (At the moment, I'm kicking myself for not taking a picture with my student, Nate Ring, who also attended APS. Sorry, Nate!!)


We were able to mix-in some fun with work. Here we are queuing to enter the Green Mill, which is a famous jazz club in Chicago.


I like this picture of Becky. Matt's standing behind her holding two chocolate-covered truffles from the APS banquet.

And here's one last group photo of us. It's hard to believe how fast this year has been. It was at last year's APS conference when I met Sean, and now fast-forward to the present time, here we are with our students presenting our research. It's amazing how much can change within the course of the year. I wonder what we'll be presenting at next year's conference. Hopefully, when we go to APS in San Francisco, Nate and some more of my students will want to present their research, too!

2 comments:

Nate said...

Dr. Verges actually it didn't even occur to me to get a picture with you. I'm so use to being the photographer at this point, I just assume it is me taking the shots :-P.

Next year at San Fran we'll get one! And I am very excited to get into the lab with you. I'm looking into HCC for a potential funding, but i'll have to see what happens in the summer first.

Anonymous said...

I love the post! However, I still look like Pee Wee Herman ;( Have you seen my bike?