Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Disgusted with BP



There was a story on NPR two days ago that keeps troubling me. It was about an explosion that occurred at a BP refinery in Texas City, TX. (If you have ~7 minutes of downtime, you may want to hear the story online.) As I listened to the story, I imagined the horrific scene. Sadly, what actually happened was far worse than I could have imagined. I'm thoroughly disgusted with BP. While I certainly hope there'll be justice in holding BP financially accountable for their negligence, I wish there was something more I could do about this situation. It just seems like boycotting BP is not enough to show my contempt for this company.

1 comment:

Meghan said...

I heard that story, too. It was so sad. Then the very next day, I heard a story about how all the oil companies are doing (extremely well), and how BP is doing in comparison (marginally well, or worse than extremely well). They blamed it on the fact that a couple plants had been shut down, but indicated that things would change this year because they are re-opening the plants. Oh, goody.

It would've been nice to hear them tie those two stories together.