Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Texans Protest Against Indiana Wastewater

What does VX nerve gas, Port Arthur, TX, and Indiana wastewater have in common? Puzzled?!? So am I.

I just read a disturbing article in today's South Bend Tribune.

Turns out, residents in Port Arthur, TX are protesting against receiving Indiana's wastewater, which contain a nerve gas called VX. Ok, before I divulge anymore details, here are some basic facts:

* Port Arthur, TX is 90 miles east of Houston, TX (so it's located along the gulf coast).

* According to the 2000 U.S. census, the Port Arthur population is 57,755 (it's a small town).

To get a better perspective on these stats, I googled the distance between South Bend, IN and Port Arthur, TX. It's about an 18-hour journey (1,154 miles away).

But as I just discovered, the chemical plant is located in Newport, IN, approximately 70 miles west of Indianapolis:

To get a better visual of this Port Arthur, TX, I googled the city's name and found this picture:


Here's a photo of one of the shipments:

Ok, now that you have a bit of background information, I encourage you to read the article (click here). And of course, please feel free to post your comment about this story on the blog.

No comments: