Friday, March 02, 2007

BagFest Keynote Speaker: Elizabeth Royte

It's official: Elizabeth Royte, author of Garbage Land, will be presenting the keynote address at BagFest! I made the announcement in class on Wednesday, but it's taken me a couple more days to post the news because I simply couldn't believe it! I still have to pinch myself just to know that this is a dream come true! Wow, I'm so shocked and humbled...it's an honor to have Elizabeth give the keynote address at BagFest. I'm convinced that she's the best person for the job!

To provide you with a bit more information, Garbage Land has been recognized as a New York Times 100 Notable Books of 2005 and a Washington Post Book World Best Books of the Year. In addition, Elizabeth has been published in The New York Times Magazine, Harper's, National Geographic, Outside, The Smithsonian Magazine, and The New Yorker.

I'm so excited to hear her speak at the festival. I hope you are, too!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this is fabulous that Elizabeth Royte is coming to speak for our Bag Festival. I look forward to hearing her speak. Thank you to Dr. Verges and Wal-Mart for making this possible.

Michelle said...

We also need to thank IU South Bend, particularly the Department of Education and Academic Affairs.

Combined, these folks have provided us with underwriting support for Royte's address.

Woo Hoo!!

:0) M

Unknown said...

I just wanted to say I am super excited about hearing Elizabeth Royte talk. I have never read a very well respected book, and than to hear the author talk as well!(And even at MY school!) I think this will be a one of those expierences that you just don't forget :) Thanks too to everyone who made it possible!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I thought I was hot stuff because I bought my copy of Garbage Land off Ebay for only $2.00 and it was already autographed by Elizabeth Royte. (ha, ha) Then, on the first class when Dr. Verges told us that Elizabeth was going to come to IUSB to actually speak, I couldn't believe it! And I have to say that for the size school that IUSB is, it's a school that manages to make some pretty spectacular things happen so thanks to everyone involved.